the dark age of gaming

Started by
65 comments, last by Eelco 18 years, 12 months ago
Are you serious, dude? Do you really believe in anything you're saying? This website makes more sense then you: www.timecube.com

Look, the thing about the gaming industry is that it hasn't gone through the evolusionary stages that things like the music industry and such went through. I think if anything, we're nearing the end of the game-darkage. The darkage for me is when games are being produced with graphics as a selling point for the sole purpose of making money at the expence of gameplay. I think the storm is either clearing, or we're right in the eye.

-IV

-IVHumble Student

Advertisement
Quote:
Look, the thing about the gaming industry is that it hasn't gone through the evolusionary stages that things like the music industry and such went through. I think if anything, we're nearing the end of the game-darkage. The darkage for me is when games are being produced with graphics as a selling point for the sole purpose of making money at the expence of gameplay. I think the storm is either clearing, or we're right in the eye.

I agree. Also, can I make a prediction too? In the next few years, whatever revolutions in gameplay and game design in general will come from the PC indie developers. Call me crazy, but that's just what I think.
Quote:Original post by Riviera Kid
Quote:Original post by superpig
pc gaming will die because the consoles are better and cheaper. Noone will buy the pc hardware. There will be no market.
Tell that to the several hundred million people who use them for things other than games.

If the consoles aren't fun any more, people will go to where the fun is. PC Gaming can exist for as long as PCs do, and PCs aren't remotely threatened by consoles.

I am not saying pc's will die!! that is stupid, i am saying pc gaming will die.
Obviously people will still buy pc's, but they arnt going to buy a £300 graphics card instead of a console which performs better with better games.
Which suits the majority of indies just fine, because none of us have the resources to put out a game that really requires a top-end system. So we can't use Shader Model 3.0 as much as we'd like... big deal. It's just a matter of time before the majority of PCs have that as standard anyway.

Quote:consoles will always be fun for the majority.
That's by no means necessarily true.

Quote:I am a pc fanboy i hate consoles. When the ps3 is released i will buy it (with mouse and keyboard) and rarely play pc games again because its too expensive.
And I just don't understand that. You hate consoles but you're buying a $300 PS3 instead of more $50 PC games?

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Obviously people will still buy pc's, but they arnt going to buy a £300 graphics card instead of a console which performs better with better games.

consoles will always be fun for the majority.

Only people that know what they are doing(like us) buy graphics cards. The average idiot has no idea how a graphics card works. When their PC is too old to play newer games rather than upgrade most will probably buy a new PC just like how consoles need replacing. If it weren't for retards the market would be in serious trouble.

I am a pc fanboy i hate consoles. When the ps3 is released i will buy it (with mouse and keyboard) and rarely play pc games again because its too expensive.

My cat could form a statement that makes more sense then this quote.
I am not saying pc's will die!! that is stupid, i am saying pc gaming will die.

PC's still have many advantages over consoles including being more powerful. Also, someone else mentioned the high barrier of entry into console game development and factor in the fact that a lot of people simply enjoy having a good PC and being able to use it for games -- I think you'll find PC gaming isn't going anywhere. Plus, PCs offer an immersive and interactive experience that is difficult to achieve with a console setup.

----Bart
By the time the new consoles come out there will also be new PC hardware so consoles might not necassarily be more powerful. Therefore it will be just like now except graphics will be better (and first person shooters might actually be good on consoloes), and hopefully some new inovations will come in the form of gameplay.
______________________________________________________________________________________With the flesh of a cow.
its not PC gaming that will die, its commercial PC games that will. they are a pain in the ass to program, are copied like crazy, and the hardware to run them is much more expensive aswell as a relatively huge pain in the ass to get working correctly.

how this is anything but a blessing for the indy PC developer is a mistery to me though.
It wont die. None of your arguments make sense. I know I will not stop PC gaming. Its too flexible for games to stop being made for it. Power has little to do with it. PC development is very cheap and simple. Hell, I know I will not buy a PS3 or XBOX 360. No BF2, and the consoles cost too much. Plus to get a full spread of games I would need both.

Although if for some reason your insane hypothesis becomes true, good I do not really care. I like PC gaming, but it is also a hassle. Lots of problems come from different hardware, lots of patches, etc.
--------------------------I present for tribute this haiku:Inane Ravings OfThe Haunting JubilationA Mad Engineer©Copyright 2005 ExtrariusAll Rights Reserved
This thread is funny. I originally wanted to see it closed for being crap flamebait, but now that its gone on a while, I find it quite entertaining. Still pointless crap, but watching somebody make a fool out of himself is always good for a laugh. Thumbs up for Riviera Kid.

CM
Quote:Original post by Witchcraven
It wont die. None of your arguments make sense. I know I will not stop PC gaming. Its too flexible for games to stop being made for it. Power has little to do with it.

whats so particulary flexible about it? what does a PC have the future generation of consoles hasnt? and its not the question of wether you will stop PC gaming, but if developers/publishers will. i would were i them.

Quote:
PC development is very cheap and simple.

lol? compared to spacemissions you mean? not compared to console development in any case.

Quote:
Hell, I know I will not buy a PS3 or XBOX 360. No BF2, and the consoles cost too much.

cost too much? how much did you spend on your rig, and how much would you have if it wasnt for gaming? right. thats a whole lot bigger difference than say 300 euros.

Quote:
Plus to get a full spread of games I would need both.

consoles already have more games available. now that they take the lead in performance (for a while atleast) the PC has lost its last edge. also, wifi mouses and keyboards will probably pop up like weeds.

Quote:
Although if for some reason your insane hypothesis becomes true, good I do not really care. I like PC gaming, but it is also a hassle. Lots of problems come from different hardware, lots of patches, etc.

nor do i care. ive never owned any console, nor do i play a lot of games. do not mistake me for a fanboy. looking at the future, i just dont see any reason at all for a big developer/publisher to develop/publish for the PC.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement