the dark age of gaming

Started by
65 comments, last by Eelco 18 years, 12 months ago
Quote:Original post by Riviera Kid
pc gaming will die. Indie Console development will be restricted by sony and microsoft. So who is going to play it?

you certainly wont be able to download free games for the xbox360/ps3

Why would restricted console development kill PC games? IMO since console hardware is so close to PC hardware were seeing a lot of games for both consoles and PCs. There are plently of PS2 and XBOX games that have PC ports, but was there ever any SNES or N64 PC ports? Not really. It's not like in the oldschool console days that every game was for the PC.

People buy PCs for things other than games. I'm sure my grandparents didn't buy a $2300 computer 10 years ago for me to play Warcraft 2 all day. Indie Console development was little to no affect on the PC gaming market.

This thread just screams "tin foil hat".

Advertisement
WHat I want to see is an indie-developed console.
"Open source hardware" if you will...a well designed, standardized system that one could purchase or build(if you had the means), with a sort of indie consortium lording over its development, like the W3C.
Then, indie developers can develop to console specs, and release their games any way they like: digital delivery, old-fashioned shareware-style, what have you.

And to seperate the stars from the bulk, perhaps like a honorary "A+" qualification granted by another QA consortium of developers and gamers, in other words, the good stuff goes in the hall of fame.

It would probably take a very rich game-devver to back the initial start of it all, but think about the paradigm shift: focus off of brands, and console wars, standardized hardware that you dont need outside QA or licensng to use, so you wont have people saying "You've got a good game, but it just doesnt show off the power of our console...add flashier things, maybe some video...".

Its probably a pipe dream, because it would take a bit of money to make anything other than "PC in a pretty box", but then, thats what we found in the Xbox wasnt it?
I will still program PC Games, so I don't understand how they will die.
MMORPG will probably still be more popular on computers.

Quote:
Graphics become so easy to reproduce gameplay goes out the window and we get the same rehash of games every year because kids will buy them.

Haven't graphics already been easy to reproduce? Every sequel looks fairly similar, kids always buy them. But how does this mean that quality games won't be made?

I fear the y2k bug will destroy the world's economy. [lol]
PC games will continue to be made, but more and more the PC will be just another platform a game is released for.
This sucks, because it ensures that Fallout 3 for example won't be mouse countrolled(meaning click to go) and turn based like it's predecessors. I bet there are lots of examples of games being tailored to fit all platforms, and thus not exploiting the fact that the PC has a mouse and a keyboard.
Quote:Original post by Scet
pc gaming will die. Indie Console development will be restricted by sony and microsoft. So who is going to play it?

you certainly wont be able to download free games for the xbox360/ps3

Why would restricted console development kill PC games?
Yeah, what are you on about, Riviera Kid? The massively increased barrier to entry for console development - you just need that much more money to fund a console project - means we should see an increase in PC games, as developers turn to the only platform they can affort to get involved with.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

pc gaming will die because the consoles are better and cheaper. Noone will buy the pc hardware. There will be no market.

Even now, people everywhere, everyday, are turning away from pc's because of the cost aswell as hardware issues/failure.

there are so many more titles for consoles now, and now even the pc exclusive titles which would take advantage of the keyboard/mouse are going to consoles.

All my game shops have the pc section hidden away in the corner like its the plague. Its a dying platform. And the next line of consoles are going to deliver the final blow to the pc market.

restricted console development wont be the cause for the death of the pc, and i didnt mean to imply that in my previous post.

with the loss of the pc market the indie developer will have nowhere to turn.

krikkit, i agree, we need a platform which supports indie development.
--------------------------------Dr Cox: "People are ***tard coated ***tards with ***tard filling."
pc gaming will die because the consoles are better and cheaper. Noone will buy the pc hardware. There will be no market.
Tell that to the several hundred million people who use them for things other than games.

If the consoles aren't fun any more, people will go to where the fun is. PC Gaming can exist for as long as PCs do, and PCs aren't remotely threatened by consoles.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Quote:Freedom of design: A dynamic development architecture equally accommodates both big-budget, high-profile game "masterpieces" as well as indie games conceived by individual developers equipped with only a big idea.

I like the sound of that :]
PC is not a gaming machine. People don't buy PCs only to play games. They buy PCs to have access to internet, e-mail, listen to music, watch videos, use Word or Excel and other stuff(don't anybody say that consoles can "sort of" do some of the things above because noone cares, noone use consoles for things like that). On top of that, many people who own PCs are gamers, so there is a market more mature and probably with a financial strength bigger than the 15yrold who's parents bought him a PS3.

Really, you talk like PCs are nothing more than consoles with a keyboard and a mouse.
Quote:Original post by superpig
Tell that to the several hundred million people who use them for things other than games.

If the consoles aren't fun any more, people will go to where the fun is. PC Gaming can exist for as long as PCs do, and PCs aren't remotely threatened by consoles.

I am not saying pc's will die!! that is stupid, i am saying pc gaming will die.
Obviously people will still buy pc's, but they arnt going to buy a £300 graphics card instead of a console which performs better with better games.

consoles will always be fun for the majority.

I am a pc fanboy i hate consoles. When the ps3 is released i will buy it (with mouse and keyboard) and rarely play pc games again because its too expensive.

--------------------------------Dr Cox: "People are ***tard coated ***tards with ***tard filling."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement