How can Nintendo make comparable graphics to its competetors next gen?

Started by
71 comments, last by RobTheBloke 18 years, 7 months ago
Quote:Original post by Hellmaster
Quote:Original post by Hellmaster
As long as someone mentioned the HD thing, would there need to be extensive work done to make games in HD? If so, exactly how much more, compared to just 480p?

Anyone?

Requires no additionnal work, maybe some higher res textures.
The thing is HD is a big/huge hit on fillrate, compared to SDTV resolution.
All PC gamers know that you can lower resolution for higher performance. (fillrate is still the main factor, that's why you have HyperZ and all HSR tech.)
IMO that's exactly what the Revolution do.

Iwata said that Revolution will be inferior on paper but on-par on screen, so I really take it that it's all about fillrate/resolution.
Anyway, time will tell how good Revolution will be.
-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by samuraicrow
Quote:Original post by Spoonbender
The Cell basically one crippled core, and 7 useless ones.
The 360 is 3 crippled ones. IF the Revolution turns out to have one conventional core, I'm putting my bets on that. At least for the first couple of years.

The key to the Cell processor is that the SPEs will be able to do long sustained DMA bursts from interleaved RAMBus memory. That will outrun the conventional relatively short speculative bursts of today's cache controllers.

I agree with Spoonbender here. A single core is going to make it much easier to get games onto the thing quickly. Coding for the Ps3 & 360 is not exactly nice..... and wont be for a while until the coding tools improve an awful lot (the 360 is somewhat ahead in that respect).

Quote:Where I think the Revolution will excell is that it will likely use a physics processor. They may not follow Aegia's patent and may therefore get around the pricetag of that PPU and use a custom Nintendo PPU instead, for example.

Actually i hope they follow aegia's patent. They'd have to provide somehing on a par with the Novodex SDK to make that of any real use - they'd also have the additional cost of R&D on the chip, R&D on the software, etc etc. It'd probably be cheaper to actually do a deal with Aegia.... (as well as pleasing people developing for the console....)

i'm always one for using currently available libs rather than re-inventing the wheel..... Especially libs that people already know how to use....
The 512Mb of main ram for the revolution may actually be correct, but only for the devkits - you normally need twice the ram when running debug code....

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement