How can Nintendo make comparable graphics to its competetors next gen?

Started by
71 comments, last by RobTheBloke 18 years, 7 months ago
Quote:Original post by pinacolada
It took me about 5 seconds to find this: http://www.dvhardware.net/article7256.html

it even includes a nice pic :P Thus showing that it definitly looks better than it's competitors ;)
Advertisement
Quote:And come'on ...your remark about it being smal and henceforth not being able to be 'as good looking?' .... how can size determine if something is good looking ???

You misunderstand me. I'm not trying to claim that, really. The GC was the smallest current console and it kicked the crap out of the PS2 and rivaled the Xbox graphics wise.

But the reason I mentioned that is because that's what I heard from people. That because there would be too much heat that would be developed and it couldn't dissipate much from a console of that size. Remember, that's what I HEARD. I'm sorry if I came across as trying to criticize the Rev's abilities, that was not my intention. I simply wish to know if it's possible to mimick the graphics of the competitors (or at least just the Xbox360).
It took me about 5 seconds to find this: http://www.dvhardware.net/article7256.html

...that's a rumor.
I'm not sure this is even the case, but there has been talk going around about a new software technique that will allow the Revolution to have less hardware and still produce games with better visuals than the other two. Something with cube mapping or something like that. Not exactly sure though.
Mike Popoloski | Journal | SlimDX
Prior to the advent of Psygnosis' games on the Amiga, games were developed with the formula of 20% sound + 30% graphics + 50% gameplay = 100% good gaming. I think Nintendo is closer to their roots with that formula than the other big-house game developers of today and should be lauded for it.

If they avoid Sony's idea of trying to make an entertainment super-computer that will dethrone Microsoft from the desktop market and Microsoft's idea of trying to dethrone Sony from the game-console market then Nintendo can keep its balance and possibly come out with some GAMES. The platform the games run on is just that: a platform. It depends on the games themselves how good these platforms turn out to be.

According to this article the revolution will likely have a physics processor and this entry on the Carthage editorial page leads me to believe that the Revolution will be a strong competitor to the others.

-edit- Yes, I know those links are based on a rumor.
Quote:Original post by Hellmaster

...that's a rumor.

You're on an internet forum asking anonymous people with no verifiable credentials to answer a highly technical and speculative question. I think "rumor" is the best you're going to get =)
I fail to see how people have this conception of the Revolution being seriously underpowered. It's been said by Nintendo (and deliberatly vaugely) that it will be "about two or three times as powerful as a gamecube". Now look at RE4's graphics - twice as detailed as that is surely more than enough for any game you can imagine.

So basically I think this will boil down to:
- Nintendo aren't bothering to over-hype their hardware like MS and Sony.
- Although probably not the fastest, the Revolution is likely to have comparable real-world performance (much like the current gen, where the PS2 is somewhat weaker hardware-wise, yet gameplay-wise is nigh-on identical).
- Given the above, Nintendo are aiming to differenciate themselves with something the others can't currently offer - new and interesting ways of controlling their games.
Quote:Original post by OrangyTang
new and interesting ways of controlling their games.

Well...new anyway.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Those specs seem about on par with what I'd expect, except that (like Sony and Microsoft are both doing), I bet it's 256MB main ram and 256MB video ram. The link seemed to imply 512Mb main Plus 256 video.

Now, assuming that's true, I'd be willing to bet that Rev will be on par with the Xbox 360 and PS3, at least at launch. The thing that really crippled GC was that it only had 24 Megs of RAM, so better gfx and processor were irrelevent. PS2 had 32 and Xbox had 64. So it was really just impossible (or not worth it) to try to shrink the in-memory game by 25% over the already shrunk-to-the-max PS2 version (This is also why you see lots of toon-shading on GC, not because it's a kids platform, but because it loosens up a ton of texture memory).

So it looks like they've made it much easier to attract 3rd party, since it shouldn't be much extra work to do a port from Xbox 360. And the thing about Xbox 360 and PS3 is that they have very complicated processors and very powerful gfx, so they will probably not do much on their processors, and slam the gfx boards with everything they can handle. The Rev's processor at 2.5Ghz 256k L1 should be enough to keep up... at least at launch.

But as the platforms mature there is a lot more head-room for the other consoles to improve, particularly the PS3. On PS3, in several years there is lots of room for exploring deformable/dynamic/simulation aspects of games, but Rev will still be cranking away on a single processor providing the same gfx we saw in first gen, so they will have to rely solely on Gameplay to keep the ball rolling, since there won't be much technological improvement after 1st gen.

i thought the RAM was supposed to be Flash RAM and you could get cartridges to increase it if need be (like the little cartridge for Zelda: OoT)

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement