How can Nintendo make comparable graphics to its competetors next gen?

Started by
71 comments, last by RobTheBloke 18 years, 7 months ago
So what's the most important feature you need for good graphics? Processor speed, or RAM?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Hellmaster
So what's the most important feature you need for good graphics? Processor speed, or RAM?

The most important feature? Talented artists.

I know that isn't really the answer that you are seeking, and that you are probably looking for some sort of estimate of the polygon-pushing power of the consoles. But really, a talented team of artists who play to the strengths of the medium (in this case, a console) will trump the small difference in power between the three next-gen consoles. I seriously doubt there will be enough difference in power between any of the three new consoles that will counteract that.
There is something you dont understand.
Normal people will buy a console because of the great racing game with the great gaphics they see. They dont have the chance to play several games of each console and then decide based on which games were more fun.
And I dont think that some one will prefer nintendo's console because of a controller that looks like a TV remote control.
Also, I dont think it is such a big problem for other console to add later a contoller with similar capabilities such as nintendo's control.

What I really dont understand is all the claims that nintendo's games are "100% fun, and other consles games are 90% graphics and 10% fun".
I havent play games of any of these consoles, but to say that nintendo's games are alot more fun is, I believe, rubbish.
The most fun games I have played have been mostly on the PC, and these games were not little kiddy fun games, games like civ, starcraft, virtua figther (sega) etc etc.
It's all about the wheel.Never blindly trust technoligy.I love my internal organs.Real men don't shower.Quote:Original post by Toolmaker Quote:Original post by The C modest godHow is my improoved signature?It sucks, just like you.
Quote:Original post by Trapper Zoid

The most important feature? Talented artists.

I know that isn't really the answer that you are seeking, and that you are probably looking for some sort of estimate of the polygon-pushing power of the consoles. But really, a talented team of artists who play to the strengths of the medium (in this case, a console) will trump the small difference in power between the three next-gen consoles. I seriously doubt there will be enough difference in power between any of the three new consoles that will counteract that.

Brilliant.
So what you are trying to say actually is that nintendo will have a lot more talented 3D artists then other consoles?
I wonder how they are the only ones getting all the talented artists? maybe they give all their artists free mario puppets.
Or propabbly other consoles pay a lot less then nintendo, yes thats must be it.
It's all about the wheel.Never blindly trust technoligy.I love my internal organs.Real men don't shower.Quote:Original post by Toolmaker Quote:Original post by The C modest godHow is my improoved signature?It sucks, just like you.
Quote:Original post by The C modest god
Normal people will buy a console because of the great racing game with the great gaphics they see. They dont have the chance to play several games of each console and then decide based on which games were more fun.
And I dont think that some one will prefer nintendo's console because of a controller that looks like a TV remote control.
Also, I dont think it is such a big problem for other console to add later a contoller with similar capabilities such as nintendo's control.

What I really dont understand is all the claims that nintendo's games are "100% fun, and other consles games are 90% graphics and 10% fun".
I havent play games of any of these consoles, but to say that nintendo's games are alot more fun is, I believe, rubbish.
The most fun games I have played have been mostly on the PC, and these games were not little kiddy fun games, games like civ, starcraft, virtua figther (sega) etc etc.

Huh? I'm gonna get a Revolution on day 1. I don't care if it's graphically less impressive than the other two, or if it's a console aimed for babies 6 and under.

My question is what the best specs possible on the Rev. could be? Damn, is that so hard to understand what I'm trying to ask?

Oh, and thank you anyhow, Trapper Zoid :).

Huh? I'm gonna get a Revolution on day 1. I don't care if it's graphically less impressive than the other two, or if it's a console aimed for babies 6 and under.

My question is what the best specs possible on the Rev. could be? Damn, is that so hard to understand what I'm trying to ask?

Oh, and thank you anyhow, Trapper Zoid :).

Ok, sorry for taking the discussion to another direction.
Brilliant.
So what you are trying to say actually is that nintendo will have a lot more talented 3D artists then other consoles?
I wonder how they are the only ones getting all the talented artists? maybe they give all their artists free mario puppets.

That's not what I wrote; this isn't limited to Nintendo. The point is that a game made with a good team of artists for console X will look better than a game made with a mediocre team of artists for console Y, regardless of whether X or Y are the Revolution, X-Box 360 or the PS3.

That's why I find all these "which console has the best graphics" debates to be totally meaningless, even with the current generation. If Resident Evil 4 looks as good as it does on the Nintendo Gamecube, who cares if the stats are lower than that of the X-Box?

This goes double for discussing the next-gen consoles which no-one can accurately compare.

Edit: Sorry I can't really be of much help, Hellmaster. But frankly, no-one can accurately compare the consoles at this stage, especially with all this marketing twisting the facts from every camp at the moment. I'm going to wait and see the important stats for me, namely which games will be developed on which consoles, and what price each console will be, since I know the output of all three consoles will look absolutely gorgeous by my standards.
Quote:Original post by Trapper Zoid
Brilliant.

That's not what I wrote; this isn't limited to Nintendo. The point is that a game made with a good team of artists for console X will look better than a game made with a mediocre team of artists for console Y, regardless of whether X or Y are the Revolution, X-Box 360 or the PS3.

That's why I find all these "which console has the best graphics" debates to be totally meaningless, even with the current generation. If Resident Evil 4 looks as good as it does on the Nintendo Gamecube, who cares if the stats are lower than that of the X-Box?

This goes double for discussing the next-gen consoles which no-one can accurately compare.

Edit: Sorry I can't really be of much help, Hellmaster. But frankly, no-one can accurately compare the consoles at this stage, especially with all this marketing twisting the facts from every camp at the moment. I'm going to wait and see the important stats for me, namely which games will be developed on which consoles, and what price each console will be, since I know the output of all three consoles will look absolutely gorgeous by my standards.

Of course that a medicore team will do less better then a good team.
The question is which game will look better on two different consoles, when on both consoles work artists of the same level of talent<.
the point is that nintendo doesn't care if they can compete on the graphics side of things. They know that good graphics don't make good games. Do you people know what the best selling video game system of all time is? The gameboy. Do you think the gameboy competes with the next gen consoles in graphics (or any console for that matter -- post 1982)? No! But it sells well because of a number of other factors. Factors such as playability, the accessibility of the content provided, and for other reasons as well. Nintendo doesn't want to compete in graphics because that's not the type of company they aim to be. The Revolution will have good graphics, but more importantly it will have a huge database of games to choose from (backwards compatability is a beautiful thing) and a garuanteed fun factor that the other consoles may loose sight of while making their games pretty. It's not called the nintendo graphics revolution nor will it claim to be. However, it will be fun as hell and provide new and interesting forms of gaming that will appeal to a broader audience then the other 2 can hope to reach.
Quote:Original post by Morpheus011
the point is that nintendo doesn't care if they can compete on the graphics side of things. They know that good graphics don't make good games. Do you people know what the best selling video game system of all time is? The gameboy. Do you think the gameboy competes with the next gen consoles in graphics (or any console for that matter -- post 1982)? No! But it sells well because of a number of other factors. Factors such as playability, the accessibility of the content provided, and for other reasons as well. Nintendo doesn't want to compete in graphics because that's not the type of company they aim to be. The Revolution will have good graphics, but more importantly it will have a huge database of games to choose from (backwards compatability is a beautiful thing) and a garuanteed fun factor that the other consoles may loose sight of while making their games pretty. It's not called the nintendo graphics revolution nor will it claim to be. However, it will be fun as hell and provide new and interesting forms of gaming that will appeal to a broader audience then the other 2 can hope to reach.

Again, the magical fun factor in nintendo is much better then in other consoles.
Only nintendo knows how to do fun games.
I am sure most people would prefer playing mario party over GTA SA.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement