Violence in Games

Started by
178 comments, last by ApochPiQ 16 years ago
@boolean: omg cut the crap and get back to the original post. Does asking if someone's drunk solve any of the 4 questions there?

@VildNinja: yeah, but think about the training you get playing games like America's Army and such. Afterwards you know as an experienced player how to get good cover and excellent firing positions maximizing damage if you are prone to actually commit violence. Also, kids of let's say 6-10 years age can't be considered fully developed and matured so they might just not know what they're doin when they get their hands on dads gun and point it to the kid next door always bullying him. But with already having experienced it as fun on pc or console games, it might lead to easier triggering in the end. That's what studies need to find out. But my gut feeling says there is a connection.

Btw. I love participating in a discussion where downrating is so much likely lol.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by boolean
Quote:Original post by Konfusius
I never said "ban adult stuff"

Yes you did, in regards to manhunt you said "I think nobody should be exposed to such games".

What are you up to? Apply some logic man! I said "Manhunt is sick and should be banned" (though this was not my exact wording).

I know, that's what I was responding to. Are you drunk?

My head hurts.

Ok, I'll explain. I hope this is just some case of "lost in translation".

I said "ban Manhunt, because it's sick and exploitative". The fact that Manhunt is an adult game doesn't make that mean "ban adult games, because they are sick and exploitative".

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I said "ban sick stuff". Sick in the sense of snuff (even "simulated" snuff), exploitation movies etc. Doesn't that make sense?

Wait a minute, so you've jumped straight from a perfectly legal game to illegal snuff films? So if you only mean ban illegal content (ahem...) you have no problem with Manhunt?

*sigh* Do you enjoy being childish?

lol, ok your obviously just joking now. The sarcasm in the first post must have gone over my head. My apologies.

Ok, there is a communication problem.

Quote:Wait a minute, so you've jumped straight from a perfectly legal game to illegal snuff films?

Yes, I did. However Manhunt being a legal game doesn't make it a "perfectly legal" game (whatever that means).

Quote:So if you only mean ban illegal content (ahem...)

I didn't say that, or did I?

Quote:you have no problem with Manhunt?

If the first part of the sentence would be a correct interpretation of my words, that would hold true. [looksaround]

The answer is: I have a problem with manhunt because it's sick and exploitative and there's no reason for it to exists other than to produce or feed sick fantasies.

Still, I think there's some misunderstanding going on. Else, I had to think you are trying to ass me.
Quote:Original post by M4lV
@boolean: omg cut the crap and get back to the original post. Does asking if someone's drunk solve any of the 4 questions there?

Did I log into GDnets evil twin tonight? All I did was ask him some questions based on what he said, then he just trailed off into those bizarre quotes in the last post.

The hell is going on
Quote:Original post by VildNinja
If kids get their rolemoddels from computer games, I would say that the problem is bad parrents and NOT the computer games!

Parents are not the only rolemodels a child can have. Everybody had childhood heroes and wanted to be like them.
The answer is: I have a problem with manhunt because it's sick and exploitative and there's no reason for it to exists other than to produce or feed sick fantasies.

Your opinion of Manhunt is that it's immoral. That's fine, but can't you also appreciate that some people might easily say the same thing about Saw or Hostel? You seem to have drawn an imaginary line in the sand based on your own personal beliefs with no actual explanation or rational as to why the lines exists at at particular point.
as far as I remember one of my "hero" in childhood was good old he-man, so it was the TV back then. My parents, ehm, no.. ;) but there was no actual commitment of violence cause well on TV you can't interact.

Did I log into GDnets evil twin tonight? All I did was ask him some questions based on what he said, then he just trailed off into those bizarre quotes in the last post.

The hell is going on

Trailing off? WTF? You're turning around the words in my mouth, drawing false conclusions everywhere, and then saying I am getting bizarre?
Quote:Original post by OrangyTang
Your opinion of Manhunt is that it's immoral. That's fine, but can't you also appreciate that some people might easily say the same thing about Saw or Hostel? You seem to have drawn an imaginary line in the sand based on your own personal beliefs with no actual explanation or rational as to why the lines exists at at particular point.

I also think Saw and Hostel are sick, but there is some artistic value to these movies, and they carry some moral message. Also, you don't are the killer. You just watch in disgust. (I hope). Still, I think the world would be better without them.
Manhunt on the contrary has you killing people as brutally as possible for the sheer sake of it. You actually need to enjoy the brutality to play through it. That's why I call it sick.
... Also, kids of let's say 6-10 years age can't be considered fully developed and matured so they might just not know what they're doin when they get their hands on dads gun and point it to the kid next door always bullying him. ...

First I'm not a big fan of small kids playing that kind of games. Of course they could get their hands on that kind of games, but thats a question of ratings and control (from the parrents).
Second DADS GUN!!!!!!!! ... As I said, the real problem often comes from other things than computer games. (No I am not a big fan of guns!)
control from parents requires parents or "parental persons" being actually at home and if so, then also watching their kid from time to time or at least have a good connection to their children so that they can trust on each other. Given today's patchwork and non-stop double full-time job families with no time for child raising and education, that mechanism is not working anymore.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement