Violence in Games

Started by
178 comments, last by ApochPiQ 16 years ago
When I look at the problem "violence". It actually turns out that computer games are the solution.

Fact (In my own little world :P )
People loves killings, war, unnecessary violence and so on and so on.

Problem
The consequences are enormous.
Actually so enormous that none of the things listet above should ever be practiced in real life!

Solution
Make a simulation of the world (without the consequences of course).
With simulation, I am of course referring to computer games, movies and other popular medias.

... The only problem that I can see, is the fact that some people tend to like the simulations more than the real world (often kids without friends), and therefore becomes addicts of the simulation (fx WoW addicts).
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by LessBread
The games market does not regulate itself, the games industry regulates itself via the ESRB. Asserting that a market regulates itself, while idiomatically acceptable, introduces an ideological bias into what otherwise might suffice as a clinical description of the subject.

I find it hard to believe that you didn't know what I meant. I'll concede that, if we wish to be excessively pedantic, we can find a problem with the way I worded things. As to whether or not that actually poses a real danger of anyone misunderstanding my point... well, I'm skeptical to say the least.

But anyways, enough of that derailment.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Quote:Original post by VildNinja
stuff

I don't know. I like violent games, even brutal stuff like The Suffering etc., but I despise games like Manhunt because it's just sick. I think nobody should be exposed to such games. And I think it's dangerous that such games are on the marked because minors will get their hands on them and will be disturbed by what they see there.

The youth that get's their role models from such simulations (killing simulations, lol...) won't become better persons or less violent because of this.

And don't get me started on WoW.
Quote:Original post by Konfusius
And I think it's dangerous that such games are on the marked because minors will get their hands on them and will be disturbed by what they see there.

So any game that is meant for adults should be removed from the market if a minor, should they get hold of it, could find it disturbing?

Well I hope you apply the same to all R18+ movies like Kill Bill, Hostel, Saving Private Ryan etc. What about beer? Should that also be banned to everyone over 21 because there is a chance minors may get their hands on it?

Actively removing content that is intended for adults under the fear that minors may get hold of it is a ridiculous idea. If it were in place we would never be allowed to have a movie or game over G.
Quote:Original post by boolean
And I think it's dangerous that such games are on the marked because minors will get their hands on them and will be disturbed by what they see there.

So any game that is meant for adults should be removed from the market if a minor, should they get hold of it, could find it disturbing?

I didn't say "find it disturbing", I said "it disturbs them". To answer your question: No, only the sick "exploitation" stuff.

Quote:
Well I hope you apply the same to all R18+ movies like Kill Bill,

Are you nuts???

Quote:Hostel,

Think not, the 2nd part of it for sure.

Quote:Saving Private Ryan etc.

No!

Quote:What about beer? Should that also be banned to everyone over 21 because there is a chance minors may get their hands on it?

Of course not! Lol! Lower the age to 16 instead. :P

Quote:Actively removing content that is intended for adults under the fear that minors may get hold of it is a ridiculous idea. If it were in place we would never be allowed to have a movie or game over G.

You're missing my point. I never said "ban adult stuff", I said "ban sick stuff". Sick in the sense of snuff (even "simulated" snuff), exploitation movies etc.
Doesn't that make sense?
I never said "ban adult stuff"

Yes you did, in regards to manhunt you said "I think nobody should be exposed to such games".

I said "ban sick stuff". Sick in the sense of snuff (even "simulated" snuff), exploitation movies etc. Doesn't that make sense?

Wait a minute, so you've jumped straight from a perfectly legal game to illegal snuff films? So if you only mean ban illegal content (ahem...) you have no problem with Manhunt?
Quote:Original post by Yann L
The governments role is to ensure the protection of children against threats they cannot defend themselves against.
There are much more serious threats to protect against than whatever fuzzy definition of 'video game violence' some socially challenged psychologists / lawyers came up with. Physical and sexual abuse of children, for example. Once the kid becomes an adult, the whole point is moot anyway.

Only because there are more serious threats, this doesn't mean that the less serious should not be fought.
I think nobody can say he has never in the least bit been impressed by a video game, be it violent or not. Impressions change (influence) us, our world view and our personality. Easily impressed people are more easily influenced by games, especially impressive violent games. It's even possible that they find these games more impressive than, for example, their parents. Easily impressed people are also those most likely to become mentally disturbed. I hope you conclude with me that it is at least possible that games pose some real threat to the proper education of children.

(Also, I've witnessed enough spoilt CS-brats.)

Yes you did, in regards to manhunt you said "I think nobody should be exposed to such games".

What are you up to? Apply some logic man! I said "Manhunt is sick and should be banned" (though this was not my exact wording).

Quote:
I said "ban sick stuff". Sick in the sense of snuff (even "simulated" snuff), exploitation movies etc. Doesn't that make sense?

Wait a minute, so you've jumped straight from a perfectly legal game to illegal snuff films? So if you only mean ban illegal content (ahem...) you have no problem with Manhunt?

*sigh* Do you enjoy being childish?

What are you up to? Apply some logic man! I said "Manhunt is sick and should be banned" (though this was not my exact wording).

I know, that's what I was responding to. Are you drunk?

Quote:
Quote:

*sigh* Do you enjoy being childish?

lol, ok your obviously just joking now. The sarcasm in the first post must have gone over my head. My apologies.
The youth that get's their role models from such simulations (killing simulations, lol...) won't become better persons or less violent because of this.

And don't get me started on WoW.

If kids get their rolemoddels from computer games, I would say that the problem is bad parrents and NOT the computer games!

Of course you could say that computer games often gives people funny/mean ideas. But an idea alone isn't enough, it also takes a person who is willing to practice the idea. And I don't think that a computer game can turn any man insane. The insannity has to come from somwhere else (fx. very bad childhood).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement