School & age

Started by
3 comments, last by Bakkerbaard 6 years, 3 months ago

Hello.

Outside of Animal House I know very little of the American school system. Since Google gives me information that seems incorrect, I would like to talk to a real living American.

I've estimated my main character is 25 years old. seemed like a good number to hold the balance between relatable to younger players as well as myself. Is this the age of someone who is about to graduate from college? Like, regular college, if there's something like that. As in: kindergarten -> regular kid school -> high school -> college. And he's never been held back and life's been going well so he's started at the age one would start college.

It's not a big thing, I'm just wondering wether I'm putting him in a dorm room or a shitty apartment at 25.

Advertisement

At 25, most who went to college graduated around 3-5 years before (I'd say 4, but quibblers) and are now either working or frustrated at not being able to find suitable work. So, crappy apartment or parents' home (respectively). 

Moving to Writing forum.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

2 hours ago, Bakkerbaard said:

Is this the age of someone who is about to graduate from college? Like, regular college, if there's something like that.

In the US one typically graduates high school age 18, around the beginning of summer, and then enters university that same year, usually at the beginning of September.

The standard university degree is 4 years (freshman year, sophomore year, junior year, and senior year). That means most folks graduate by 22. 

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Excellent.

Thank you both. Crap appartment it is.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement