Jerk on the internet

Started by
224 comments, last by Oluseyi 18 years, 5 months ago
[felt compelled to answer ^_^]

People, some of you believe that a game is a simulation of real life. If in our real life there are jerks, assholes and so on, then why in the game they shouldn't be?

What's more interesting: let's say your team member starts to shoot you at spawn point. Is he a JERK? NOO! He's a *TRAITOR*! How do you deal with traitors? You put a bullet in their heads =)

Now, let's think of a game being realistic. Your team is winning. Suddenly, a "jerk" comes into your team and starts shooting your team members. Why don't you think of him as a spy sent by the other team? How you deal with spies? You ban them once they are discovered =) (you may want to apply questioning on him first)

However, if you are really bothered by some n00b messing up with your team with friendly fire, why not just shoot him in sight? :P

Finally, on many game servers there are rules of play (i.e. "don't shoot your team members of be banned"), so what's the matter?

I think if all game players would be "happy people", doing "right things" at the "right moment", it would be really boring (see Matrix movie, when they say Matrix failed in first versions where all people were happy).

Although I would not like the behavior described by Vanke (I'd still expect people to play nicely :P), I think a creativity in behavior makes the game unique =) It would get extremely boring if I would play against copies of myself who play by the same set of rules...

My two cents...
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Vanke
you apply your morals to both equally I don't.

Neither does he. It is OK to kill in games, I do it every day. It isn't OK to waste other's people time in real life.

And you'll never realize that a videogame is inherently different then reallife, you should never view them both the same.

We all have realized that long long ago. You won't realize that you are effecting people in real life. In real life. Get it? REAL LIFE!

To me viewing them as both equal in that way detracts from realife it makes it less important then videogames. The two should never be equal. Now i'm not saying that videogames are stupid and worthless I don't believe that way. Hell I grew up playing them and will play them the rest of my life. But i will never delude myself into thinking that they are that important to real life.

Here we go again. Hope you are only playing stupid.
"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"
I'm not putting down game makers, hell it's what I do in my spare time as well. I want people to enjoy my games and anything that I make. I'm making a comment on the people that play the games (which I know all of you are) not the people who make them. I'm spending my money on these games to support the game makers, why do i need to care about the game players?

Most of us do care about the game players. Thats why we make games.
[...]Who here has morals that say it is allright to kill people? If it is unethical for you to kill someone in real life why do it in a game? Wouldn't that be going against your morals and ethics?
I'll explain it one last time:
In a game, when you kill an avatar, you are killing only an avatar. However, you are also affecting the person that is controlling the avatar, and if they are on your team and trying to play the game, you are harming the person by robbing them of the opportunity to play the game.

[...]I may be disrupting it but that's not my fault[...]
How can you say something that is a direct result of your choices is not your fault? Your whole purpose in TKing people was to disrupt their time, and you acomplished that goal. It sounds now like you have no sense of responsibility for your actions, because you chose to do something, did it, achieved the results that you wanted, and then claimed those results are not your fault.

Quote:[...]Does anyone here think videogame playing is a productive way to spend your time?
I think that lack of productivity does not give you a right to disrupt others' use of their time.
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
To me viewing them as both equal in that way detracts from realife it makes it less important then videogames. The two should never be equal. Now i'm not saying that videogames are stupid and worthless I don't believe that way. Hell I grew up playing them and will play them the rest of my life. But i will never delude myself into thinking that they are that important to real life.

I think the major point that most of the people here are trying to make is that it's nothing to do with video games and all to do about how we interact with other people. The video game is just the medium that is used. If you are playing solo then nobody cares what you do. But as soon as you join an online community it *is* real life. You are dealing with other players and with something like teamspeak or voice even more so. The game is just the mechanism that brings people together, sure it's a little more abstract but I don't see it any different than joining up with people for a live sport. The fact you can abstract these people away to have no regard for them at all is the major issue here.

if i don't know you in real life or have an ongoing online relationship with you, you don't matter.

I guess it is quite childish but it's also true. THere are no reprucssions there is anonymity what reason is there for me to act otherwise especially if i don't want to.

I honestly don't care about random people playing games on the internet. I don't have any emotional attachment to them in fact I view them the same as I do NPCs in the gameworld.

Whoa. Wasted like an hour of my life on this thread.

BTW - I think it is way cool that Sneftel appeals to logical fallacies in his arguments. I wish I could pull that off.
Quote:Original post by Sneftel
I'm not trying to get you to see my point of view. I'm showing you that your point of view is inconsistent with itself.

Alright, answer me this: What is the rule by which you determine whether increasing the enjoyment of others is worth decreasing your own enjoyment (possibly by a smaller amount)?

I never really thought about it that way, although my answer would be that when videogames are involved my fun is always more important then your fun. In real life I enjoy when everyone is having fun.
Quote:Original post by Rixter
Does anyone here think videogame playing is a productive way to spend your time?

You're right, humans don't need entertainment. From now on it's all work and no play, I'm gonna go cure cancer.

Way to go. Though I never said that humans don't need entertainment, i just asked if it was a productive way to spend time.

So is it?
I never really thought about it that way, although my answer would be that when videogames are involved my fun is always more important then your fun. In real life I enjoy when everyone is having fun.
No, I didn't ask about video games or sports. I asked you for a consistent rule to apply to life in general.
Quote:Original post by Rixter
Does anyone here think videogame playing is a productive way to spend your time?

You're right, humans don't need entertainment. From now on it's all work and no play, I'm gonna go cure cancer.

Way to go. Though I never said that humans don't need entertainment, i just asked if it was a productive way to spend time.

So is it?

Of course, anything that keeps me out of a deep depression is productive to me.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement