Jerk on the internet

Started by
224 comments, last by Oluseyi 18 years, 6 months ago
Quote:Original post by Vanke
Why does it matter so much to you what my morals and ethics are in real life? I thought I had stated several times that those beliefs I hold are different then the ones I hold in a videogame or I should say ones I held in a videogame years ago?
And yet you can't seem to come up with a decent represntation of your morals which would cause you to act in this manner.
Advertisement
I am a self confessed asshole. And I'm usually a rude person. I don't tk (intentionally).

I would derive great pleasure though, as I'm sure several others here would, at seeing Oluysei ban you. Especially now that I just read these last 7 pages of you blathering on, rehashing the same thing over and over.

>>voteban Vanke

(Oh and btw, for some reason I now read your name as 'wanker' - not sure why)
Quote:
I'm not immune to logic, I just can't make the connection between real life and videogame, in fact the majority of people can't. Most people see videogames as complete wastes of time, in fact i'm going out with one of those people right now. Hell my girlfriend thinks the computer is a complete waste of time and would be happy if I never touched it ever.

You dolt, the argument isn't about real life==videogames. Everyone knows they arn't equal. It's about the people on the other side of the line and how you find pleasure in annoying them. Yes Tking someone doesn't hurt them physically, but it does waste their time and ruins their fun, which is unethical.

"but you think people shouldn't deny you the right to play how you want, when that is exactly what you are doing to them" - Rixter

You're (totally illogical) argument is that since the people online have no face and video games are a waste of time(and yet you play them, strange?) it is your duty to make video games not enjoyable.

"my girlfriend thinks the computer is a complete waste of time and would be happy if I never touched it ever."

She's not the only one that would be happy if you never touched it again.

Edit:

"voteban Vanke"

Which key do I press for YES!?
Okay one last go. I would never harm someone in real life my actions in the game don't carry over. I would also not tk people in a lan there my friends why wowuld i do that? Well maybe once just to piss them off.

I guess to sum it all up, is that you just don't care. Not much we can do to change that but hopefully you realize that there are people that do care and why they hate TK'ers so much. Personally, I like to treat people, all people ( friends or random people online ) with respect, but to each his own.
To answer your question directly I don't have one I play life by ear.

Of course you do. We are, as far as can be seen, deterministic beings. If I trip over a rock, I will stumble. If I am hungry and see pizza, I will salivate. The rules governing your moral behavior may be complicated, and may not even be known to you, and may change over time, but they are there. You just refuse to acknowledge them or seek them out.
Quote:Original post by xanin
I would derive great pleasure though, as I'm sure several others here would, at seeing Oluysei ban you.

Don't ban him by his beliefs. I hate TKing but that is no bannable offense just as much as being annoying here is. I understand what he is saying but I don't agree, that doesn't mean I want him banned.
Quote:Original post by Servant of the Lord
Don't ban him by his beliefs. I hate TKing but that is no bannable offense just as much as being annoying here is. I understand what he is saying but I don't agree, that doesn't mean I want him banned.

Oh no, I just want him banned for my enjoyment. And that of several of my peers. Afterall, I dont care about his enjoyment of the forums.
I'm going to post one last reply for the evening.

I must confess I haven't TKed or done any griefing since I was a teenager and I've grown up a lot since then. I don't do it know and I won't do it know, but that doesn't mean that I see anything wrong with it. To me it's a childish thing to do but I don't see it affecting anyone more negativly then say an annoying little brother or sister.

Like I have stated before i wrote this post to discuss the article in the OP and nothing more. I defended myself from a couple of attacks simply because it was fun. I don't know why you people care so much about this subject. Why does it matter so much to you what my morals and ethics are in real life? I thought I had stated several times that those beliefs I hold are different then the ones I hold in a videogame or I should say ones I held in a videogame years ago?

Anyways more will come later I have to go meet my girlfriend for dinner, infact i think i'm going to be late, so for you people that hate me because of a stupid belief I hold. Your gonna be happy i'm not gettin any tongiht.

Also is there any way to have my rating reset? I would like to be able to reply to peoples programming questions and have them not think i'm a total waste of a programmer becuase I have such a low rating? If there isn't i'm just going to roll up another character here on this server.

Good night all my fellow GameDevelopers.

it seems you are quite willing to waste our time on the internet. we who have dilligently waded through this thread and tryed to figure out why you are unwilling to empathise with those you you were playing CS with.

so should you have your rating reset. no. you waste our time that is our (little) punishment. BTW, i have not rated you down. your actions in CS have nothing to do with game programming (i feel). so i wont rate you down. i can feel what it would be like if i held an unpopular opinion and my rating dropped. that is why i dont do it.

you may think i am overusing the word empathy and its derivatives. i am not. i am trying to get across to you the reason why many of us find your behaviour childish, immature and irresponsible.

http://www.shirky.com/writings/group_enemy.html

Get off my lawn!

[...]I didn't tk anyone to disrupt their time, that was never my intent, i never tked to hurt or cause harm to anyone, that never entered my trhinking at all.[...]
What do you call intentionally eliciting cries of frustration, anger, and hate? You intentionally interfered with peoples enjoyment (and thus also the time they alloted for the enjoyment). The fact that your own enjoyment is your reason for doing so does not change what you did (and in fact, it might make things worse since that same excuse is often used by the worst in society).
Quote:[...]Also once again sorry on the late reply I have to bus it from downtown ottawa to the west end of the city not exactly the fastest at rush hour.
No problem, I just saw that you read my message and noticed neither a reply via pm nor in the thread, nor were you listed as writing a reply in the 'who is online' page, so I incorrectly presumed that you were unwilling to continue the discussion.
[...]BUt i'm being honest by saying that I never did it to hurt anyone merely to cause frustration.[...]
Whether you think you caused harm or not is irrelevant. Are you saying you just misspoke when you said it wasn't your fault and that you actually meant something else? As I said, their suffering (even if it was 'only' mental anguish aka frustration) was a direct result of your choice, yet you said it wasn't your fault. It isn't your intentions I am arguing about right now, but rather the results of your actions and the person responsible for those results.

[...]Why do I have to have a consistant rule, do you have a consistant rule in how you treat people.[...]
A consistant rule is neccessary for others to be able to understand your position. If you seem to flip a coin for every moral decision, for example, nobody would have any understanding of your actions at all, and creating a reason behind all the actions (which is what people do when trying to understand other people) would be very difficult.

I have a constant rule for appling my standard - the same standard initially apply to all people, but they cease to apply to a specific person when that person shows that he/she is unwilling to abide by the standard and has no logical reason to do so. My standards are very simple, and can be summarized as 'respect others'.
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement