Jerk on the internet

Started by
224 comments, last by Oluseyi 18 years, 6 months ago
Quote:
And in response to your second post, I didn't tk anyone to disrupt their time, that was never my intent, i never tked to hurt or cause harm to anyone, that never entered my trhinking at all.

it is very immature to be so short sighted not to see that TKing would cause people to be disrupted or cause them harm( emotionally ).

your intentions are irrelevant if you refuse to feel empathy for those you harm when it's pointed out that yes indeed it does cause harm. you know damn well it does from the obvious replys you would get in-game if you TKed

Quote:
Why do I need to state my moral rules, or the reason why I follow them.

because from our point of view they are inconsistant. you suddenly cease to care about peoples reactions when you join a game. it is sociopathic, when you consider the CS community as a society. just because you fail to see the difference between annoying people in a game and in real life doesnt justify your actions or make those people you affect less able to see the connection.
Advertisement
Your fundamental argument is still incomplete: What is the rule--a consistent rule--by which you determine whether increasing the enjoyment of others is worth decreasing your own enjoyment (possibly by a smaller amount) in a given situation?

Give it up guys. He is immune to logic.
Quote:Original post by templewulf
Quote:Original post by Vanke
Allright a little self contradictory there I see it. BUt i'm being honest by saying that I never did it to hurt anyone merely to cause frustration. I don't think that my tking ever caused anybody any harm ever.

You are harming them by stealing their leisure time. What we have here is a problem of definitions. I say by ruining their game you are harming them.

Did you see my post on pg7 or so? What's the difference between frustrating someone in a game and frustrating someone on the phone?

I'll repeat myself again because it's a video game.

I'm not harming anyone by causing them to be frustrated during their leisure time just annoying them. They could always ignore if they want to. Also if i'm talking to someone on the phone it's only because I know them personally, if i'm shooting oyu in the back in CS, your probably a stranger whom i will never see again.
Quote:Original post by Scet
Give it up guys. He is immune to logic.

I'm not immune to logic, I just can't make the connection between real life and videogame, in fact the majority of people can't. Most people see videogames as complete wastes of time, in fact i'm going out with one of those people right now. Hell my girlfriend thinks the computer is a complete waste of time and would be happy if I never touched it ever.
Allright a little self contradictory there I see it. BUt i'm being honest by saying that I never did it to hurt anyone merely to cause frustration. I don't think that my tking ever caused anybody any harm ever.

You are harming them by stealing their leisure time. What we have here is a problem of definitions. I say by ruining their game you are harming them.

Did you see my post on pg7 or so? What's the difference between frustrating someone in a game and frustrating someone on the phone?

I'm not harming anyone by causing them to be frustrated during their leisure time just annoying them. They could always ignore if they want to. Also if i'm talking to someone on the phone it's only because I know them personally, if i'm shooting oyu in the back in CS, your probably a stranger whom i will never see again.

so would you beat-up/rob/rape a total stranger on the grounds that you'd never see them again?

if you were playing CS in a lan where people would you TK them at the start of every round?

I'm going to post one last reply for the evening.

I must confess I haven't TKed or done any griefing since I was a teenager and I've grown up a lot since then. I don't do it know and I won't do it know, but that doesn't mean that I see anything wrong with it. To me it's a childish thing to do but I don't see it affecting anyone more negativly then say an annoying little brother or sister.

Like I have stated before i wrote this post to discuss the article in the OP and nothing more. I defended myself from a couple of attacks simply because it was fun. I don't know why you people care so much about this subject. Why does it matter so much to you what my morals and ethics are in real life? I thought I had stated several times that those beliefs I hold are different then the ones I hold in a videogame or I should say ones I held in a videogame years ago?

Anyways more will come later I have to go meet my girlfriend for dinner, infact i think i'm going to be late, so for you people that hate me because of a stupid belief I hold. Your gonna be happy i'm not gettin any tongiht.

Also is there any way to have my rating reset? I would like to be able to reply to peoples programming questions and have them not think i'm a total waste of a programmer becuase I have such a low rating? If there isn't i'm just going to roll up another character here on this server.

Good night all my fellow GameDevelopers.
Really, Vanke, I'm not gonna quit asking you to make your argument in an unambiguous manner: What is the rule--a consistent rule--by which you determine whether increasing the enjoyment of others is worth decreasing your own enjoyment (possibly by a smaller amount) in a given situation?
Quote:Original post by rip-off

so would you beat-up/rob/rape a total stranger on the grounds that you'd never see them again?

if you were playing CS in a lan where people would you TK them at the start of every round?

Okay one last go. I would never harm someone in real life my actions in the game don't carry over. I would also not tk people in a lan there my friends why wowuld i do that? Well maybe once just to piss them off.
Quote:Original post by Sneftel
Really, Vanke, I'm not gonna quit asking you to make your argument in an unambiguous manner: What is the rule--a consistent rule--by which you determine whether increasing the enjoyment of others is worth decreasing your own enjoyment (possibly by a smaller amount) in a given situation?

Why do I have to have a consistant rule, do you have a consistant rule in how you treat people.

To answer your question directly I don't have one I play life by ear.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement